Thursday, March 08, 2007

Daily Drew (I hate Spike Jonze edition)

In my "pre-blogging" days over at everything2 I once wrote:


Sat May 13 2000 at 16:32:30
Somebody look up Spike's family tree. He's a rich kid who's been handed a bunch of media tasks by his oh so wealthy family (Rockefeller or Getty I can't remember which). ed note: it's actually the Spiegel family, and his branch wasn't all that wealthy apparently

Am I bitter... a tad. See Spike's my rich kid alter ego.

When I was 13 I was into journalism and freestyle bike riding and BMX. Spike edited my favorite bike rag. I got a Redline -- not bad but not a freestyle mag.

When I was 18, I was into music and journalism. My favorite band... the Beastie Boys and Spike edited their magazine (Grand Royal) and made their videos. I saw them in concert at Lollapalooza -- clearly the decline has started.

Now I'm 25 and I'm into movies, computers, and music. Spike gets to make and star in movies and music videos, meet other stars, and generally be considered cool. I get to slag him on everything2. I win!


Now via Defamer I get this little nugget:


Drew Barrymore sucking face with a scrawny-looking guy who looked familiar but I had to be told was Spike Jonze at Golden Gopher downtown Fri night (3/2). She looked great actually, definitely skinnier than when she dated that drummer.They were pretty annoying, giggling and touching and making out. Then they started slow-dancing to Patsy Cline even though no one else was, but the song switched to Arcade Fire so they sat down and kissed more. A fast Beck song came on and they danced again (still no one joined) but were gone next time I passed on the way to the pisser.


DAMN YOU SPIKE JONZE! What makes this worse is that I really really like Spike Jonze's work. Being John Malkovich and Adaptation are both great movies. Plus look at that list of music videos. Cannonball, Sabotage, Buddy Holly, Praise You, and Wonderboy to name just a few of his good videos. Sigh... Opulens adepto opulentia

2 comments:

Perdita said...

dude, I completely missed his divorce from sofia "i too get everything fucking handed to me because of my family" coppola.

where have I been?

Perdita said...

Here's something that might cheer you up-- in this month's Glamour magazine there's a huge Drew photo spread. I think it would merit some "alone time" for sure.